The Moscow Times - Independent News From Russia The Moscow Times offers everything you need to know about Russia: Breaking news, top stories, business, analysis, opinion, multimedia, upcoming cultural events
- Kremlin Critic Navalny Appeals Against 9-Year Jail Sentenceon 17 May 2022 at 07:46
Navalny in March had his jail time extended to nine years on charges he and his allies say are politically motivated.
- Putin Involved in Tactical Decision Making in East Ukraine – Reportson 17 May 2022 at 06:25
Western military officials assess Putin's level of engagement in the military push for Ukraine’s Donbas region to be very high.
- Rescue Mission Under Way at Azovstal as Hundreds Evacuatedon 17 May 2022 at 05:49
The Ukrainian army said the soldiers in Mariupol had stopped Russian forces from rapidly capturing the southern city of Zaporizhzhia.
- Shelling Destroys Property in Russian Village Bordering Ukraineon 17 May 2022 at 05:15
The village of Alekseevka is located near Ukraine’s Sumy region, whose governor said border guards recently repelled a Russian incursion.
- In Photos: Mariupol Under Russian Occupationon 16 May 2022 at 15:53
While most of the devastated city's pre-war population of 400,000 has fled, some 100,000 civilians are believed to have stayed.
- CoolCola: Russia Launches Coca-Cola, Fanta and Sprite Alternatives After Soda Exoduson 16 May 2022 at 15:20
Russian soda lovers will soon be able to pick up their own refreshing bottle of CoolCola, Fancy or Street.
- New Biopic on Anna Politkovskaya in Pre-Productionon 16 May 2022 at 15:04
The film will be the first fictional portrayal of the Russian journalist.
- Sweden, Finland Joining NATO Doesn’t Threaten Russia But May ‘Trigger’ Response – Putinon 16 May 2022 at 13:47
“What kind [of response] it will be, we will decide depending on threats that are created against us,” Putin warned.
- McDonald’s to Sell Russian Business, Ending 32-Year Presenceon 16 May 2022 at 11:26
The U.S. fast-food giant will sell 847 restaurants across the country to a local buyer.
- Medvedev Criticizes ‘Unfair’ Wimbledon Ban on Russian Playerson 16 May 2022 at 10:40
The men's tennis world No. 2 added he'd be “happy to play” if a decision was made to revoke the ban.
- Russian Governor Says Region Attacked as Ukraine Troops Reach Borderon 16 May 2022 at 10:24
The Russian region of Belgorod reportedly came under artillery fire in three seperate incidents.
- 3 Russian Military Recruitment Offices Attackedon 16 May 2022 at 10:13
More than a dozen military recruitment offices have been attacked across Russia since the invasion of Ukraine on Feb. 24.
- Sweden, Finland NATO Bids Are ‘Grave Mistake’ – Russiaon 16 May 2022 at 08:48
"They should have no illusions that we will just put up with this."
- Russia to Nationalize Renault Plant, Revive Soviet-Era Moskvitch Car After Handoveron 16 May 2022 at 07:08
Renault had had the most exposure to the Russian market among Western carmakers before it pulled out over the invasion of Ukraine.
- Ukraine: As It's Happeningon 16 May 2022 at 07:00
Follow all the breaking news, comment and analysis about Russia's attack on Ukraine.
- NATO Assures Ukraine of Open-Ended Military Support Against Russiaon 16 May 2022 at 03:15
Western intelligence predicted Russia's campaign in eastern Ukraine would stall amid heavy losses and fierce resistance.
- Fierce Fighting in Ukraine's East but Eurovision Win Lifts Spiritson 15 May 2022 at 08:49
Ukraine was fighting off a fierce Russian onslaught after a Eurovision victory gave the country a much-needed boost of morale.
- Summer Wildfires Ravage Forest-Rich Siberia, in Photoson 15 May 2022 at 08:28
The wildfires have become increasingly destructive in recent years as Russia's northern regions warm faster than the rest of the world.
- Finland's End of Military Neutrality a 'Mistake,' Putin Tells Finnish Presidenton 14 May 2022 at 13:06
Helsinki is expected to announce its NATO membership bid on Sunday.
- Georgia’s Breakaway Region to Hold Referendum on Joining Russia in July: Leaderon 13 May 2022 at 18:05
The leader of Georgia's breakaway region of South Ossetia on Friday set July 17 as a date for a referendum on joining Russia.