Japan Times latest articles The latest news from Japan Times, Japan's leading English-language daily newspaper
- Why have COVID-19 cases in Tokyo plummeted? Study points to restraint by the unvaccinated.by Osamu Tsukimori on 26 September 2021 at 09:44
Since the peak of the capital's largest wave of infections, many unvaccinated people have stayed away from places where the virus can spread more easily, ...
- Terunofuji crowns yokozuna debut with fifth career titleon 26 September 2021 at 09:30
Maegashira Myogiryu's loss to new sekiwake Meisei ensured the grand champion of the Emperor's Cup before he contested his final bout on Day 15 at ...
- Japan, the U.S. and Vietnam not on same page with Chinaby Mark J. Valencia on 26 September 2021 at 09:21
Vietnam knows that the unpredictable giant China will always be there while the U.S. and its allies presence in the region is fickle and fleeting.
- As Japan’s fifth COVID-19 wave wanes, officials warn against complacencyby Tomohiro Osaki on 26 September 2021 at 09:14
A delta-driven surge in COVID-19 cases is coming to a faster-than-expected end, but experts believe another wave of infections may be around the corner.
- Three PM hopefuls call for Japan to continue with nuclear fuel recycle programon 26 September 2021 at 08:57
Taro Kono, the only contender who has pushed for phasing out nuclear power, went against his leadership rivals and said Japan should pivot away from ...
- Suga says Japan’s COVID-19 situation improving as emergency decision loomson 26 September 2021 at 08:29
The outgoing PM's remarks come as the health ministry has begun reviewing the condition of the nation's health care system in preparation for a possible ...
- Japan urges recovered COVID-19 patients to get two shotson 26 September 2021 at 08:27
Although COVID-19 patients develop neutralizing antibodies after recovering, much remains unknown, including how long immunity lasts.
- Kin of Sri Lankan who died in custody urge Japan immigration to accept responsibilityon 26 September 2021 at 08:26
Family members have been demanding that the immigration agency disclose two weeks' worth of security camera footage showing the 33-year-old's final days and clarify her ...
- ‘Quad’ and AUKUS put Biden’s Indo-Pacific shift under microscopeby Miya Tanaka on 26 September 2021 at 08:10
The U.S. is focusing on an intensifying competition with China via "Quad" summits and the AUKUS partnership, but the White House may need to be ...
- Can Xi end China’s ‘Gilded Age’?by Yuen Yuen Ang on 26 September 2021 at 07:59
High-stakes graft has exploded in China as politically connected capitalists ply politicians with lavish bribes in exchange for lucrative privileges.
- Aces Nick Martinez and Kodai Senga keeping Hawks’ playoff hopes aliveby Jason Coskrey on 26 September 2021 at 07:50
The formidable duo will be a significant asset for SoftBank should it manage to earn a spot in the Pacific League's Climax Series.
- Fumio Kishida gaining support from LDP lawmakers as election nearson 26 September 2021 at 07:20
The former LDP policy chief appears to be moving ahead of his three rivals when it comes to earning votes from LDP lawmakers, according to ...
- Love for hometown soccer club inspires PM hopeful Taro Konoby Dan Orlowitz on 26 September 2021 at 07:16
The LDP leadership candidate took an active role in the development of J. League side Shonan Bellmare, winning his own fans on the way.
- China’s power crunch is next economic shock beyond Evergrandeon 26 September 2021 at 06:47
A crackdown on power consumption is being driven by rising demand for electricity and surging coal and gas prices as well as strict targets from ...
- U.S. move to end Huawei saga should help China ties — but at a coston 26 September 2021 at 06:38
The deal comes two weeks after Biden called Xi in frustration over Beijing’s move to link progress on climate change with other demands, including Meng’s ...
- How Japan should make use of its ¥1 quadrillion in household savingsby Jun Mukoyama on 26 September 2021 at 04:13
In order to create an asset management system that meets global standards, Japan must drastically change its employment practices.
- Japan playmaker Takefusa Kubo to miss upcoming World Cup qualifierson 26 September 2021 at 04:07
The 20-year-old's status was confirmed by Samurai Blue head coach Hajime Moriyasu, who is in Europe observing Japan's players ahead of his squad selection.
- PSG, Man City to benefit from end to financial fair play restrictionson 26 September 2021 at 03:27
After years of attempting to regulate clubs via the FFP system, UEFA is shifting to a "luxury tax" resembling the salary caps used by U.S. ...
- Ian Foster urges All Blacks to complete Rugby Championship grand slamon 26 September 2021 at 02:20
New Zealand and South Africa meet again next week on the Gold Coast to close out this year's Rugby Championship and Foster is setting his ...
- Okelsandr Usyk ends Anthony Joshua’s reign as world heavyweight championon 26 September 2021 at 02:04
The Ukrainian became just the third boxer after Evander Holyfield David Haye to win both the cruiserweight and heavyweight world titles following a unanimous decision.