Japan Times latest articles The latest news from Japan Times, Japan's leading English-language daily newspaper
- Costa Rica beats Japan to hand Germany a World Cup lifelineby No Author on 27 November 2022 at 12:12
Costa Rica stunned Japan 1-0 thanks to a late goal at the World Cup on Sunday, blowing Group E wide open.
- Kishida Cabinet support rate plunges to lowest since launchby No Author on 27 November 2022 at 11:52
The PM's disapproval rating rose to 51.6%, exceeding 50% for the first time since he took office in October last year, after three ministers were ...
- ’90s Japanese film ‘All Under the Moon’ director Yoichi Sai diesby No Author on 27 November 2022 at 10:56
In January, Yoichi Sai announced that he was battling bladder cancer.
- Protests spread across China as anger mounts over ‘COVID-zero’ policyby No Author on 27 November 2022 at 10:16
A fire in Xinjiang, and a denial that COVID-19 measures had hampered escape and rescue, has fueled a wave of civil disobedience unseen since Xi ...
- Abi triumphs in Kyushu after rare three-way playoffby No Author on 27 November 2022 at 09:52
The first round-robin decider since 1997 saw the No. 9 maegashira claim his first Emperor's Cup after wins over fellow rank-and-filer Takayasu and ozeki Takakeisho.
- Britain’s Ryan Moore rides Vela Azul to Japan Cup victoryby No Author on 27 November 2022 at 08:51
Vela Azul beat favorite Shahryar by three-quarters of a length after both had blown past third-placed Weltreisende over the final hundred meters at Tokyo Racecourse.
- Believe it or not, Putin’s foes are now ‘Nazi Satanists’by Andreas Kluth on 27 November 2022 at 08:36
Russians have been told Ukrainians are pawns of the West. Or they don’t exist at all. Or they’re Nazis. And satanists. And many believe these ...
- The global ambitions of Chinese lawby Jeremy Daum on 27 November 2022 at 08:31
The recent international outcry over China’s alleged secret offshore police stations shows that Western democracies are unprepared to grapple with the implications of growing Chinese ...
- Carlos Queiroz tells Jurgen Klinsmann to quit FIFA role over ‘outrageous’ Iran rebukeby Martin Petty on 27 November 2022 at 07:38
Iran plays the United States in a decisive Group B match on Tuesday and has a chance to reach the last 16 for the first ...
- ‘Gangnam Style’ brought K-pop to the world, but haunted its creatorby Jin Yu Young on 27 November 2022 at 07:16
In 2012, the song took over the internet, and it helped pave the way for the global success of Korean pop. But Psy spent years ...
- U.S. and NATO scramble to arm Ukraine and refill their own arsenalsby Steven Erlanger on 27 November 2022 at 06:51
The West thought an artillery and tank war in Europe would never happen again and shrunk weapons stockpiles. It was wrong.
- The humiliating fall of Nidec billionaire’s handpicked successorby Reed Stevenson on 27 November 2022 at 06:25
The story of Jun Seki's time at the company is a cautionary tale of the risks of taking over from a self-made titan who finds ...
- Kim vows North Korea to have world’s most powerful nuclear forceby No Author on 27 November 2022 at 06:19
Kim also noted that North Korean scientists had made a "wonderful leap forward in the development of the technology of mounting nuclear warheads on ballistic ...
- Lionel Messi nourishes dream of matching Diego Maradona’s legacyby Rik Sharma on 27 November 2022 at 05:13
Maradona scored only 15 goals for Argentina in 41 competitive appearances — compared to Messi's 49 in 115 — but some led him to World ...
- Attention turns to presidential poll after Taiwan ruling party thrashingby No Author on 27 November 2022 at 05:00
Taiwan President Tsai Ing-wen resigned as DPP chairwoman after the defeat, the worst showing in the party's history, highlighted that its focus on China had ...
- Nearly a quarter of major Japanese firms to raise prices in 2023by No Author on 27 November 2022 at 04:23
Many cited the rising costs of materials, followed by an increase in shipping costs and the yen's depreciation.
- Ilia Malinin ‘in shock’ at quad-axel powered gold in Espooby No Author on 27 November 2022 at 03:39
The reigning world junior champion's reward was a ticket to the Grand Prix Final in Turin next month, where he will be joined by women's ...
- Bird flu sweeps through Japan, spreading at unusual paceby No Author on 27 November 2022 at 03:25
The number of chickens culled this season has totaled 2.89 million so far, already exceeding the previous season's total of 1.89 million.
- Springboks hail ‘special’ Twickenham triumph as Eddie Jones defends recordby Julian Guyer on 27 November 2022 at 03:07
South Africa's domination of England in their final test of the year was reminiscent of their overwhelming win over the same opponents at the 2019 ...
- Maya Yoshida insists Japan prepared for whatever Costa Rica triesby Joel Fitzpatrick on 27 November 2022 at 02:36
The Samurai Blue captain and three-time World Cup veteran says the team's focus has always been on winning three points from its crucial second game.