Japan Times latest articles The latest news from Japan Times, Japan's leading English-language daily newspaper
- Japan needs billions now to stem chip decline, top adviser warnsby Yoshiaki Nohara on 22 June 2021 at 06:39
The country must contribute at least ¥1 trillion toward chip development this fiscal year and trillions more after that to help revive its national industry.
- Tokyo Olympics organizers to allow alcohol to be sold at venueson 22 June 2021 at 06:28
The decision, apparently made in consideration of a sponsorship contract with an alcoholic beverage company, quickly drew criticism online as residents of the capital face ...
- Delta variant gains steam in undervaccinated U.S. countieson 22 June 2021 at 06:00
The ongoing spread of the variant in pockets of low vaccine uptake are troubling because they create more opportunities for the virus to thrive and ...
- Can we be friends? Dating apps say sex isn’t everything in a post-pandemic worldon 22 June 2021 at 05:31
Amorous entanglements aren't uppermost in the minds of many people emerging from long periods of pandemic isolation. Instead, they crave the friendships and social groups.
- Hong Kong leader says press must not ‘subvert’ governmenton 22 June 2021 at 05:14
Leader Carrie Lam rejected criticism of a move against the pro-democracy Apple Daily under the powerful new security law, saying the move was not an ...
- Denmark thrashes Russia to reach Euro knockouts; Austria sneaks inon 22 June 2021 at 04:58
A three-goal win combined with Belgium's defeat of Finland helped the Danes progress despite losing their first two games in the group.
- Municipalities face balancing act in hosting foreign Olympic athleteson 22 June 2021 at 04:37
Local governments are dedicating energy to ensuring athletes' safe stays while considering how to allow local residents to cheer them on without direct interaction.
- Athlete return could lead to easier travel for vaccinated Australiansby Nick Mulvenney on 22 June 2021 at 04:26
Australia's delegation of about 480 athletes and more than 500 officials and media will be forced into mandatory hotel quarantine for 14 days when they ...
- North Korea ridicules U.S. hopes for talks as allies rethink approachby Josh Smith on 22 June 2021 at 04:20
Kim Yo Jong, the sister of leader Kim Jong Un, said the United States appears to be interpreting signals from Pyongyang in a way that ...
- Raiders’ Carl Nassib becomes first active NFL player to come out as gayon 22 June 2021 at 03:35
His announcement, which comes during Pride month, was greeted with support from the league and his team, which praised his courage.
- Shohei Ohtani named AL Player of the Week for third timeon 22 June 2021 at 03:34
The Angels two-way star earned the honor for the June 14-20 period, hitting.296 with six home runs and nine RBIs in seven games.
- Sue Bird and Diana Taurasi lead U.S. Olympic women’s basketball squadon 22 June 2021 at 03:33
The two will each be seeking a fifth consecutive gold medal in Tokyo on the six-time defending Olympic champion U.S. women's basketball squad named Monday.
- Nets’ Kevin Durant and James Harden commit to Olympic team: reporton 22 June 2021 at 03:31
The pair would become the biggest stars on what is shaping up to be a star-laden team.
- Jon Rahm takes over No. 1 world golf rankingon 22 June 2021 at 03:27
Rahm briefly held the spot twice in 2020, after winning the Memorial and after tying for 13th at the PGA Championship.
- Iran vote points to hard-line goal of long-term powerby Parisa Hafezi on 22 June 2021 at 02:54
Recent election results effectively bring all arms of the state under the control of hardliners suspicious of the West, analysts and officials say.
- Japan’s bars and restaurants toast eased COVID-19 alcohol measureson 22 June 2021 at 02:29
Workers at eating and drinking establishments in Tokyo and other parts of Japan expressed happiness at being able to serve alcoholic drinks for the first ...
- Asia’s richest man says ‘no option’ but to make businesses greenby P R Sanjai on 22 June 2021 at 02:09
Mukesh Ambani says he plans to transform each of the units under Reliance Industries Ltd. to create a sustainable business model.
- U.N. rights chief seeks Xinjiang visit this year in first suggestion of timelineon 22 June 2021 at 01:29
Michelle Bachelet is under growing pressure from Western states to secure unfettered access to Xinjiang, where over 1 million Muslim Uyghurs are alleged to have ...
- Why China is getting tough on cryptocurrencieson 22 June 2021 at 00:17
Cryptocurrency prices have fluctuated wildly in recent weeks as China intensifies a crackdown on trading and mining operations.
- Hawks upset top-seeded Sixers to reach Eastern Conference finalson 21 June 2021 at 10:04
Kevin Huerter scored a playoff career-high 27 points as the upstart Atlanta Hawks punched their ticket to their first Eastern Conference finals in six years ...