Al Jazeera – Breaking News, World News and Video from Al Jazeera Breaking News, World News and Video from Al Jazeera
- As Olympics begin, Japan rolls out red carpet for Pfizer CEOon 23 July 2021 at 14:25
Japan's prime minister met with Pfizer's CEO to ensure the drugmaker delivers COVID-19 vaccines as supply dwindles.
- Azerbaijan jails 13 Armenian military personnel for six yearson 23 July 2021 at 14:19
Azerbaijan's serious crimes court says those sentenced will be deported after serving their prison terms.
- Zomato IPO catapults founder towards list of Indian billionaireson 23 July 2021 at 14:14
A 66% stock jump on debut turned Zomato founder Deepinder Goyal into a poster boy for India’s fledgling startup scene.
- Canada is deporting its ‘guardian angels’on 23 July 2021 at 13:57
Many asylum seekers in Canada, who worked on the country's COVID-19 frontline, are now facing the threat of deportation.
- White is not a colour – white is an ideologyon 23 July 2021 at 13:54
Being 'white' is today an ideological conviction people acquire as they are indoctrinated into racism.
- Reluctance and distrust define vaccine attitudes in Gazaon 23 July 2021 at 13:33
Widespread reluctance to get a shot led officials and medics to launch campaign about positive effects of vaccination.
- India’s weight-loss guru Rujuta Diwekar on why grandma knows beston 23 July 2021 at 12:58
Diwekar, whose clients include top tycoons and Bollywood stars, dishes out advice that's discordant yet appealing.
- Eight missing after boat carrying migrants sinks off Turkeyon 23 July 2021 at 12:15
Turkish naval ships and an aircraft have been deployed as part of search and rescue efforts.
- Iran water shortages: Khamenei says protesters not to blameon 23 July 2021 at 11:47
Top leader's comments over Khuzestan protests come as media say one person shot dead in neighbouring Lorestan province.
- Bangladesh reimposes COVID lockdown for two weekson 23 July 2021 at 11:29
Shutdown back in place to stem the tide of infections and deaths from the virus after weeklong recess for Eid al-Adha.
- Tokyo Olympics officially begin under spectre of pandemicon 23 July 2021 at 11:02
Opening ceremony marks beginning of summer games delayed for a year and held under unprecedented restrictions.
- Sixteen civilians killed in eastern DRC ambushon 23 July 2021 at 10:30
One child among those killed as they were returning from a weekly market in North Kivu province.
- Landslides in western India kill dozens, more trapped in floodson 23 July 2021 at 10:20
At least 36 people dead and 1,000 others trapped by floodwaters as monsoon rains pound Maharashtra state.
- COVID-positive man boards Indonesia flight disguised as wifeon 23 July 2021 at 10:09
Wearing a full-face veil, a COVID-positive man disguised himself as his wife to board a domestic flight.
- Israel granted official observer status at the African Unionon 23 July 2021 at 09:57
Israeli ambassador presents credentials to African Union Commission chairman at bloc's headquarters in Addis Ababa.
- Fresh floods in central China as typhoon heads towards east coaston 23 July 2021 at 09:43
Clean-up continues in Zhengzhou as firefighters pump water from flooded streets and underground rail system.
- French person among 6 held over plot to kill Madagascar presidenton 23 July 2021 at 08:26
Public security minister says those arrested also included two Malagasy and two Malagasy and French bi-nationals.
- ‘Nothing left’: A catastrophe in Madagascar’s famine-hit southon 23 July 2021 at 07:49
More than one million people need emergency food and nutrition aid, with 14,000 already in 'catastrophic conditions'.
- El Salvador orders graft arrest of ex-President Sanchez Cerenon 23 July 2021 at 07:34
Investigators say they will seek international help to locate and detain the former president and other officials.
- India’s DNA data law could harm minorities, hurt privacy: Expertson 23 July 2021 at 07:26
Privacy advocates fear the sensitive data can be misused for caste-based or community profiling.
- Taliban: ‘No one wants a civil war’ in Afghanistanon 23 July 2021 at 06:58
Taliban spokesman lays out the group's stance on what should come next in a country on the precipice.
- Tokyo 2020: Nigara Shaheen on her journey to Refugee Olympic Teamon 23 July 2021 at 05:26
Shaheen, who was born in Afghanistan but grew up in Pakistan, will be part of the Refugee Olympic Team at Tokyo 2020.
- Sydney’s crafty cockatoos master suburban bin divingon 23 July 2021 at 04:24
Researchers in Australia found that the extremely gregarious birds learned new behaviours by observing their peers.
- Death toll from two prison riots in Ecuador climbs to 22on 23 July 2021 at 03:21
President Guillermo Lasso declares a state of emergency in the country's jail system as a new wave of violence erupts.
- In Herat, ex-Mujahideen commander leads efforts to resist Talibanon 23 July 2021 at 03:16
In western Afghanistan’s biggest city, Taliban gains are causing economic distress and forcing people to pick up arms.