Al Jazeera – Breaking News, World News and Video from Al Jazeera Breaking News, World News and Video from Al Jazeera
- Turkey’s Erdogan warns media against publishing ‘harmful content’on 29 January 2022 at 12:18
Turkish leader says legal action will be taken against stories that undermine 'national moral values'.
- Quebec mosque attack ‘hero’ recalls life-changing momentson 29 January 2022 at 11:34
Aymen Derbali was shot seven times in 2017 assault on a Canadian mosque as he ran towards the gunman to protect others.
- Australian Open: Barty beats Collins to lift women’s tennis titleon 29 January 2022 at 11:04
Ashleigh Barty beats Danielle Collins in straight sets, becoming first Australian to win home Grand Slam in 44 years.
- Joni Mitchell joins Neil Young; pulls music in Spotify proteston 29 January 2022 at 10:55
Move against audio streaming firm comes after comedian Joe Rogan's podcast accused of spreading COVID misinformation.
- Ukraine crisis: Entrenched narratives and a dearth of nuanceon 29 January 2022 at 10:44
We discuss the heated rhetoric around the Ukrainian crisis. And we speak to one of the writers of ‘Don’t Look Up’.
- Lebanon will not ‘hand over’ Hezbollah weapons: Foreign ministeron 29 January 2022 at 10:08
Abdallah Bou assures his country will not be used as a 'launch pad' to violate Arab countries' interests.
- Destruction of Palestinian homes in East Jerusalem goes to ICCon 29 January 2022 at 10:02
Israel is taken to the International Criminal Court as it continues to demolish Palestinian homes.
- What next for world powers in war-torn Libya?on 29 January 2022 at 09:47
The presence of both Turkish and Russian forces in the North African country is deeply unsettling to European powers.
- Thousands of flights canceled as Eastern US braces for snowstormon 29 January 2022 at 09:05
The National Weather Service warns of 'whiteout conditions and nearly impossible travel at times' in the coming days.
- What’s driving the volatility in stock markets?on 29 January 2022 at 08:29
Stocks in the US have got off to their worst start since 2016. Asian and European markets racked up some losses, too.
- US plans to reroute $67m in aid towards Lebanon’s armed forceson 29 January 2022 at 08:16
Discontent has been brewing in the security forces as Lebanon's currency has slumped, driving down soldiers' wages.
- Jonas Gahr Store: Can NATO stop a Russian invasion of Ukraine?on 29 January 2022 at 06:47
Norway’s prime minister discusses NATO’s stand on the Russia-Ukraine crisis and Oslo’s role in other global conflicts.
- Rights groups warn Biden against re-blacklisting Yemen’s Houthison 29 January 2022 at 06:02
Labelling rebels 'terrorists' would disrupt flow of aid and basic goods to war-torn Yemen, advocates warn US president.
- Thousands attend Buddhist monk Thich Nhat Hanh’s funeralon 29 January 2022 at 04:24
Vietnamese religious icon was globally recognised for helping spread the practice of mindfulness in the West.
- US cancels $130m military aid for Egypt over rights concernson 29 January 2022 at 03:53
Decision to cancel aid comes just days after the US approved a massive $2.5bn arms sale to the country.
- UN rights chief says response to Myanmar crisis ‘ineffectual’on 29 January 2022 at 01:00
Michelle Bachelet demands quick restoration of civilian rule in the country almost a year after the military takeover.
- Pennsylvania court strikes down state’s mail-in voting lawon 28 January 2022 at 21:18
After Joe Biden won the 2020 US election, Republicans challenged a new state law that had made mail-in voting easier.
- Wall Street ends week of wild swings with gainson 28 January 2022 at 21:15
All three major United States stock indexes closed higher, with tech shares doing the heaviest lifting.
- Ukraine conflict is ‘not inevitable’, Pentagon chief sayson 28 January 2022 at 20:49
US officials call on Russian President Vladimir Putin to de-escalate the crisis, warning that war would be 'horrific'.
- Putin gripes about NATO as US deploys more troops to Europeon 28 January 2022 at 20:38
Russian president says NATO and the US did not address Moscow's main security demands, as Ukraine tensions simmer.
- Colombia’s top court orders government to protect ex-FARC rebelson 28 January 2022 at 20:28
Decision comes after approximately 300 ex-rebel fighters have been killed since signing of 2016 peace accord.
- Ukraine accuses US of hurting economy by stoking panic over waron 28 January 2022 at 20:05
Ukrainian president's remarks come amid increasingly strong United States warnings about Russia.
- Bonus Edition: Authors’ stories of resilienceon 28 January 2022 at 20:00
The Stream revisits writers telling stories of empowerment.
- China’s ambassador to US warns of conflict over Taiwanon 28 January 2022 at 19:58
'The Taiwan issue is the biggest tinderbox between China and the US,' says ambassador Qin Gang.
- Are classrooms in the US being used as political battlefields?on 28 January 2022 at 19:48
Conservatives in the United States are leading a charge against a wide range of book titles.